Thursday, April 26, 2012

Zion National Park to Page, Arizona

"Land of extremes. Land of contrasts. Land of surprises. Land of contradictions.... That is Arizona". ~Federal Writers Project, Arizona: The Grand Canyon State, 1956

Our next day plan was to drive from Zion National Park to Page,Arizona
Drive duration - 2 hours
Distance -  110 miles
Stayed - Page, Arizona
Date - April 20th 2012
Note: Arizona does not follow Daylight Savings time
 
We entered Arizona, the state that I absolutely love. I worked in Phoenix for a short while and during that time, I met some life-long friends who are warm, amiable, and full of life and who mean a lot to me.  Phoenix is a great place for a travel enthusiast, as one can travel to places with different scenery and topography by road. To list a few road trips from Phoenix is Page, Flagstaff, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, San Diego, Las Vegas… and I am sure many more can be added to the list…  whereas from South Florida, even if we drive for 8 hours, we will still be in Florida ;). No offense South Florida... I LOVE YOU !!  
 
Our plan for our road trip was to stay in Page, Arizona and tour the primary attraction - Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend
 

Our drive was alluring. The scenery was ever changing on the wide open long stretches of road. As a kid, my family did long road or train trips frequently and when I look back, those are listed on top of my most joyful memories. We were busy talking and listening to my dad and mom's travel adventures and stories about how they travelled to places unknown with 2 kids when there was no Google, internet or phone booking. That story could be an article by itself which I intend to write one day!! But now, let me not digress from Page, AZ…
On our way to Page, we passed through Glen Canyon Dam's Carl Hayden Visitors Center. It had a gorgeous view of the Dam. Looking out at the dam made us feel so small.

From Wikipedia - "Glen Canyon Dam is a concrete arch dam on the Colorado River in northern Arizona in the United States, just north of Page. The dam was built to provide hydroelectricity and flow regulation from the upper Colorado River Basin to the lower. Its reservoir is called Lake Powell, and is the second largest artificial lake in the country, extending upriver well into Utah."
 We then went to a scenic point (I forgot to note the name, however it was opposite the Glen Canyon Visitors Center). I saw steps that went down. How could I resist? After a quick run, down the stairs and up again, we went directly to book our tour of the Upper Antelope Canyon. We then drove down to our hotel room which was half block down the same road and we just had enough time to check in, keep our stuff, take water and go back for the tour.


I ran down to see what the scenic view was and it was worth the run

Dad clicking the picture of my run from above

Antelope Canyon:
The drive was around 10 minutes. We got down from our bus and walked till the entrance with our tourists and our tour guide.

Walking through Antelope canyon is a photographer’s paradise. It felt like waking in a sculpture museum where the sculptures are lit by sunlight pouring in through the roof of the canyon. It’s simply artistic and beautiful. Antelope canyon has been created by wind, water and sand. It’s truly beautiful.
 
 
  
 

 
 

This was the endpoint and we had to walk back inside to get to our tour bus


This was the sandy road that we drove on to get to the entrance of the Canyon



Our next adventure was Horseshoe Bend which was about 10 minutes drive away from our hotel. I had been to this place with my friends when I was working in Phoenix and really wanted my family to see it. After parking the car, there is a 1 mile trek to this place in wilderness. Parents and the little one were pretty exhausted and it was almost sunset time, so we called it a day and drove for some dinner and had a relaxing night. I am attaching some pictures that I had taken during my visit here with friends. It’s a must do when in Page!!
 

 
Next day trip was the one we were all eagerly looking forward to .. the grandest of all.. to be continued :)!!


2 comments:

Deepa Kesavanunni said...

Seems to be excellent place! Enjoyed viewing pictures and reading the blog. Nicely written Deeps.....Waiting to read what next :-)

Deepa said...

Thanks Deeps for your comment. The grandest of all coming up next :)